Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Phlebotomies...Schlebotomies...

Don't you just love how
the nurses matched my
shirt - and without me
even asking!
Sookie: Wow. I feel a little weak.
Bill: Of course you do. I fed on your blood. You should take some vitamin B-12 to replenish.
Sookie: Will I need to do that everyday?
Bill: If you don't mind, yes. And no garlic



My 2nd phlebotomy is done and over with, and I was down for the count.  I did a poor job of hydrating. Or, rather, I didn't know how much I should hydrate beforehand. Apparently, ALOT more than I did. I almost passed at about the halfway mark. But the nurses are trained to look for that and swiftly raised my feet and brought me apple juice. I drank 4 bottles during and after. I continued to be thirsty for three days. And tired. And so dizzy I felt like I was walking on one of those moving sidewalks. And cold.


Aside from drinking alot of water, taking a B Complex, Vitamin D, electrolytes and eating some decent meals, I also used my heater at night and bundled up more than usual. I've been wearing hats and gloves and scarves over the past week as well. I know, I know...I live in San Francisco - I should be used to that already. But let's just say that if I was a little chilly before, post-phlebotomy is more like a winter on the East Coast. 


I have gotten some good tips since then that I'm going to try on my next phlebotomy (next week). I was advised to do a couple things (before and afterwards) to raise my blood pressure. For those of you who know that eating salt is 'bad' well in this case it's beneficial. It will not only increase the pressure in my circulatory system, but it will also make me thirstier resulting in increased water intake which also will increase the pressure. In addition, drinking a more hard core electrolyte fluid like Pedialyte will also increase by blood pressure by increasing blood fluid volume as well as salt which should raise the pressure.


Apparently this will have two very important affects on me: 1) the blood will flow faster during my phlebotomy, making it quicker and 2) my blood pressure should be higher and therefore more stable once the pint is removed.  The results should be that I won't feel like I'm looking at myself in a fun house mirror or taking a spin on the lastest roller coaster. Hopefully. Anyways, I'll give it a try and report back.


Don't forget your B-Complex...essential for making new blood! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on pleb #2! They seriously get easier. The second pleb I had was the worst one--I almost passed out, my vein took forever to give blood, and I was down for the count. Now I only get a little tired, and can successfully drive myself to and from the blood bank. Those are some great tips for your next one, let us know how it goes! I still need to get myself some B-complex vitamins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Trooper! If you need any tips just come on over to mydogsteeth and ask. I drink a ton of water daily anyways so I bleed super quick. One phleb I was over bled because the nurse left me (I seriously fill a bag in 3 mins). I was SO sick after and emotional. I cried and cried when I got home. You will probably notice the day after a phlebotomy you will be very hungry as well (at least I always am).

    Keep your chin up!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi good to see that someone else is writing about the HH! Congrats! My husband has HH and so we all live with it. After 26 years of dealing with all kinds of dos and don'ts, I research the mutation and added all my findings as my husbands family carry the gene. So, if you are interested my website is http://www.theironoverloadebook.com

    Leave a comment if you please.

    ReplyDelete